TGR Under the Influence Review
The Catskiing Canada crew went to the movie premier of this years offerings from Teton Gravity Research, Under The Influence. After getting a belly full of sushi (a great way to start any evening) we sat our butts down at the Kelowna Community Theater for the show. After the traditional sponsor give aways and throwing of dangerous objects into the crowd, the film got off to a geat start.
Seth Morrison dominated the first ten minutes and if you have seen him before, you know what I mean. Big flips off 50 ft cliffs and other crazy stuff along with some good interviews from the skiers and riders. Jeremy Nobis made a brief appearance in the movie, but it would have been nicer to see more of his big mountain style.
The film is about 60% big mountain riding (Haines, Alaska makes up a big part) and the other 40% is split between some big park footage and some deep powder backcountry.
Snowboarders not to be left out, TGR gives a great big mountain spotlight to Jeremy Jones and a few other girl and guy riders.
Overall the quality was a bit lower. The mostly traditional 16mm shooting instead of HD, and the theater we were in wasn't the best. Most of the film kept me very interested and wishing for snow now! I give it a 7.5 out of 10.
To view the trailer and order your own copy: